By Garrett County Joint Information Center Team
Garrett County has vaccinated 9% of county residents. That’s the third-highest rate in the state, which is at 6% at this time. The county has a limited supply of vaccine doses to meet the great demand for the COVID-19 vaccine.
“We hope that the federal government will be able to ramp up the supply of vaccine given to the states, and that Maryland can increase how much we receive in Garrett County,” said Garrett County Health Officer Bob Stephens. “We have the capacity to vaccinate more people but the supply cannot keep up with the demand.”
“Once we ensure that those persons in Phase 1A and 1B have an opportunity to schedule an appointment, and we have enough vaccine available, we will be able to move to Phase 1C,” Stephens added. “The first priority group in Phase 1C will be those who are age 65-74.”
The vaccine timeline released by the Health Department last week is available at garretthealth.org and on their Facebook Page. The timeline will be updated as the county progresses through the priority groups. The Health Department is not keeping a pre-registration list.
Additional information for Garrett County today includes:
- A 7-day case rate of 13.79 per 100,000 Garrett County residents, compared to Maryland’s case rate of 33.57
- A 7-day positivity rate of 6.82%, compared to Maryland’s rate of 6.38%
- A total of 1,765 COVID-19 cases
- A total of 56 deaths due to COVID-19 or its complications
For the most up-to-date information about vaccine distribution and testing in Garrett County, watch for announcements from the Health Department on media outlets, the Health Department’s Facebook page and website (garretthealth.org).
Additional COVID-19 resources:
- If you have COVID-19 like symptoms, schedule a testing appointment at the Health Department by calling 301-334-7697.
- Free COVID-19 testing is available (with or without symptoms) on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the MEDCO Building in the McHenry Business Park. Pre-registration is recommended. Visit garretthealth.org for more information.
For all other COVID-19 related questions, or to report a COVID-19 compliance issue, call the local COVID-19 Hotline number at 301-334-7698.