Join the Garrett County Government for the official community celebration of the sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary, of Garrett County!
The 2022 series of events culminates this weekend in a community celebration event at the Garrett County Fairgrounds. On September 17, 2022 from 10am through 6pm, this FREE event will feature local music, a car show, history presentations, food, agriculture demonstrations, entertainment, and community collaborations.
Complete 150th commemorative coin sets comprised of coins representing each of the eight Garrett County municipalities will also be available for giveaway (while supplies last).
Highlights of the event schedule to include:
- Car Show: Mountain Top Cruisers club invites all cars, tractors, trucks and motorcycles to the car show beginning at 10am. Celebrating the collector vehicle hobby and the camaraderie of those involved.
- History Walk: A history walk featuring Maryland State Parks, our incorporated towns, and businesses with a robust Garrett County history will share their stories.
- Performances: Performers will bring important Garrett County moments, characters, and history to the present-day stage.
- Exhibits: Interactive exhibits such as genealogy activities, agriculture demonstrations, community conversations, & opportunities to connect with others.
- Women's Monologues: Portrayals of Garrett County suffragettes Catharine Sweet, Julia Slocum Walker Ruhl, Edna S. Latimer, Dr. Lorilla F. Bullard Tower, and Lillian “Tay” Byrne Sincell by AAUW-Garrett Branch.
- Storytelling: Local historians sharing fond memories and stories of growing up in Garrett County.
- Music: Local bands Buffalo Run, the Terah Crawford Band, and Aurora Celtic will take the audience through a journey and love for local mountain music.
- John W Garrett Speaks: The namesake of Garrett County will come alive with a performance by Albert Feldstein.
- Our Town Theatre Play: Compiled from the original Keepsakes play, as well as monologues written by Northern High students, Our Town Theatre will perform monologues to showcase generations of life in Garrett County.
- Robotics: Bridging the past and the present day, the Garrett County Team 1629 Robotics will do demonstrations and have fresh-squeezed lemonade available for sale.
- Commissioned Art: Artwork showcasing our beautiful area as it was “then” (in 1872) and “now” (in 2022 will be featured.
Receive two coupons for free 150th food specials from our non-profit vendors -- compliments of the Garrett County Commissioners.
Additional information will be updated weekly on the County’s Sesquicentennial website www.Garrett150.com.
If you are interested in one of the town coins already distributed or interested in a complete set of the coins, please reach out to Sarah Myers, County Communications Coordinator at 301-334-7242 or email@example.com.