The official community celebration of the sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary, of Garrett County was held on September 17, 2022.
Over 2,000 participants enjoyed local music, a car show, history presentations, food, agriculture demonstrations, entertainment, and non-profit community collaborations.
Also, complete 150th commemorative coin sets comprised of coins representing each of the eight Garrett County municipalities were distributed. Sets will be available for purchase at the Ruth Enlow Library and the Garrett County Historical Society at a future date.
“I think the event went fantastic! It was well attended, and the coins became a big hit with the community. The planning committee should be commended for making the sesquicentennial a memorable event for all involved,” said Paul Edwards, Chairman of the Board of Garrett County Commissioners.
Highlights of the day included:
- Mountain Top Cruisers club car show 3rd place - Tony Slovak, 2nd place - George Williams, 1st place - Jonathan Sines and Best of Show - Russell Sines
- A history walk featured Maryland State Parks, our incorporated towns, and businesses with a robust Garrett County history sharing their stories.
- Performers brought important Garrett County moments, characters, and history to the present-day stage.
- Interactive exhibits such as genealogy activities, agriculture demonstrations, community conversations, & opportunities to connect with others.
- Portrayals of Garrett County suffragettes Catharine Sweet, Julia Slocum Walker Ruhl, Edna S. Latimer, Dr. Lorilla F. Bullard Tower, and Lillian “Tay” Byrne Sincell by AAUW-Garrett Branch.
- Local historians shared fond memories and stories of growing up in Garrett County.
- Local bands Buffalo Run, the Terah Crawford Band, and Aurora Celtic took the audience through a journey and love for local mountain music.
- The namesake of Garrett County was brought to life through a performance by Albert Feldstein.
- Our Town Theatre performed monologues that showcased generations of life in Garrett County.
- Garrett County Team 1629 Robotics demonstrated historical perspectives with a technology twist.
- The official song of the sesquicentennial, "Garrett County Time" was written in 1979 and performed by the Buiffalo Run band.
- Artwork showcasing our beautiful area as it was “then” (in 1872) and “now” (in 2022 was featured: 3rd place – Misty Kisner, 2nd place – Alyssa Rodeheaver and 1st place – Jessica McClurg.
Mayors at 150th: Standing – l-r: Mark Diehl, Mayor of Grantsville; Donald Sincell, Mayor of Mt. Lake Park; Richard Carlson, Mayor of Accident; Robert Reckart, Mayor of Kitzmiller
Sitting – l-r: Donald Dawson, Mayor of Deer Park; Kathy Shaffer, Mayor of Oakland
Not available for the photo: Carolyn Corley, Mayor of Loch Lynn, and Spencer Schlosnagle Mayor of Friendsville.
Please reach out to Sarah Myers, County Communications Coordinator at 301-334-7242 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.