By Garrett County Joint Information Center Team
The Garrett County Health Department received 32 additional positive COVID-19 results since the last report on Wednesday, November 11th, bringing the current county total positives to 267.
The new positive COVID-19 cases include:
- 1 male and 2 females age 0-9
- 2 males and 3 females in their 20s
- 2 males and 2 females in their 30s
- 2 males and 3 females in their 40s
- 2 males and 2 females in their 50s
- 1 male and 3 females in their 60s
- 1 male and 2 females in their 70s
- 2 males and 1 female in their 80s
- 1 male in his 90s
In response to the increase in positive cases in Western Maryland, the Maryland Department of Health is standing up a brand-new testing site at the Allegany County Fairgrounds. Tests will be available to any person in the region beginning Wednesday, November 11th. This drive-through site at 11400 Moss Avenue in Cumberland, Maryland, will be in operation on Mondays from 2-7 pm, and Wednesdays and Fridays from 8 am - 2 pm. There is no out-of-pocket cost to get a test at the site, and appointments and doctors’ orders are not required.
“This new testing site is a great addition to locations currently available in Garrett County,” said Garrett County Health Officer Bob Stephens. “We appreciate the partnership between the Maryland Department of Health and Allegany County Health Department to make this testing site available to anyone in the region.”
There are a variety of testing locations available in Garrett County with differing criteria.
For anyone age 18 and younger:
- Friendsville - Mondays, 9 am -12 pm, Northern Garrett Rescue Squad, Station 3, 320 Chestnut Street. No appointment needed.
- Grantsville - Wednesdays, 9 am -12 pm, Northern Garrett Rescue Squad, Station 1, 124 Miller Street. No appointment needed
- Oakland – Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 9 am -12 pm, Garrett County Health Department, 1025 Memorial Drive. Call 301-334-7770 for an appointment.
For all age groups:
- Call your primary care provider to ask about testing at the doctor’s office.
- Call Urgent Care Centers to ask about testing at their center.
If you have a doctor’s order for testing, call Garrett Regional Medical Center (GRMC) in Oakland for testing:
- With symptoms: Monday through Thursday during normal business hours. Once you have your provider’s order for a Rapid test, call 301-533-4670 to schedule an appointment. Hospital staff will meet you at your car under the canopy at the front of the hospital at the designated appointment time. The result will be called to your provider within an hour.
- Without symptoms: No need to call ahead. Just bring your provider’s order to the hospital and register as you would for any lab work. This test will be sent out and the results normally come back in 2-3 days.
The Maryland Department of Health encourages the following individuals to get COVID-19 tests:
- Individuals with symptoms that could be COVID-19
- All who suspect exposure, including those who don’t have symptoms
- Individuals who are at risk of exposure, including workers in frequent contact with the public in health care, emergency services, food and grocery, retail or manufacturing, public transportation, educational, and other congregate settings
- Individuals who have been in large gatherings
- Individuals who have traveled recently