February 19, 2019, Oakland, MD – The Board of County Commissioners held their recent public meeting at the Garrett County courthouse on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 4:00PM. Paul Edwards served as Chairman. The following items were discussed:
* Garrett County Purchasing Department made the recommendation that the Commissioners reject each of the five construction bids received for the Garrett County Emergency Operations Center. The estimated budget for the project is $3 million and each of the bids were over budget (starting at $4.6 million). All bids were rejected.
* Garrett County Ethics Ordinance has been updated to include the declaration that a previous state representative cannot lobby the County within one year of office.
* A presentation and request for $2,000 funding was made by the Tucker Community Foundation to support the “Run For It” event to be held September 28, 2019.
* The Garrett County Chamber of Commerce Strategic Initiatives Task Force gave an update and made a request for County to assume leadership on four of five identified areas of focus.
* Approval was made for the Garrett County Department of Planning & Land Management office to send a letter to the Maryland State Highway containing Fiscal Year 2019 Transportation Priority Recommendations.
* Purchase approval was made for 31.86 acres of land off of Hoyes Run Road for water treatment wells as part of a Department of Public Utilities Division project.
* Public comments were allowed.
As a reminder, public issues or concerns that are to be presented to the Board of Garrett County Commissioners during any Public Meeting should be scheduled with Carol A. Riley-Alexander, Executive Assistant to the Board of County Commissioners/County Administrator.
The Board of Garrett County Commissioners next scheduled Public Meeting will be Monday, March 4, 2019 at the Garrett County Courthouse beginning at 4:00PM.