By Garrett County Joint Information Center Team
The Garrett County Health Department received 86 additional positive COVID-19 results since the last report on Monday, December 7th, bringing the current county total positives to 1,130. The Health Department was also notified of the death of 5 county residents which brings the total county deaths due to COVID-19 or its complications to 14.
“Across the country, and now in Garrett County, senior citizens have been particularly hard hit during this pandemic,” said Garrett County Health Officer Bob Stephens. “We offer condolences to those who have lost a loved one during these trying times.”
Locally, 10 out of the 14 deaths have been residents of long-term care facilities. All of the local deaths were in the age range of 70 to 99. However, there have been many deaths across that State and country of persons who are younger.
The current comparison of Garrett County to state numbers is as follows:
- 7-day positivity rate among Garrett County residents is 19.3% (Maryland rate is 7.7%)
- 7-day case rate per 100,000 among Garrett County residents is 116.2 (Maryland rate is 44.5)
Garrett County Health Department, with the help of local partners and volunteers, is conducting free COVID-19 testing on Tuesdays (9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) and Thursdays (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), at the MEDCO Building in the McHenry Business Park, located off Bumble Bee Road between Hart for Animals and the Garrett County Airport.
Pre-registration will help speed up the process on the day of testing and is highly recommended. To register follow these steps:
- Step 1: Visit https://mako.exchange/scheduler/registration/?location=2409. Or scan the QR code on garretthealth.org with your smartphone.
- Step 2: Complete the registration form. Note: Double check the spelling of your name and your date of birth. This information must be exactly correct to receive your results.
- Step 3: Upon completing the form you will receive an email with a Booking ID number.
- Step 4: Share your Booking ID number with staff on arrival at the testing site and your test results will be automatically linked to your individual code,
- When your results are available you will receive a text or email either telling you that your test was negative, or asking you to log into the patient portal to view your results.
There is no out-of-pocket cost to get a test at this site, and appointments and doctors’ orders are not required. All persons waiting to be tested must wear a face covering that fully covers their mouth and nose. When entering the site, follow event signs and watch for traffic personal for directions. Be prepared for a possible wait. For more specifics about the testing events visit garretthealth.org.
Partners assisting the Garrett County Health Department with testing include Garrett County Government and Emergency Management, Garrett County Public Schools, and volunteers. Persons interested in volunteering to help with testing are encouraged to complete the COVID-19 Testing Clinic Volunteer Interest Form located at https://garretthealth.org/volunteer.
Additional COVID-19 resources:
- Visit garretthealth.org for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information.
- To schedule an appointment for a COVID-19 test or an Influenza vaccination at the Health Department call 301-334-7697. Note: No appointment is needed for the community testing events at the MEDCO Building announced above.
- For all other COVID-19 related questions, or to report a COVID-19 compliance issue, call the local COVID-19 Hotline number at 301-334-7698.