The Board of Garrett County Commissioners held its recent public meeting on Tuesday, January 24, 2023. Paul Edwards served as Chairman.
The following items were discussed:
- Commendation: Congratulations to Deep Creek Lake Lions Club on the 50th Anniversary of the Blind Skier Program
- “Run For It” Event Update by the Tucker Community Foundation
- Garrett County Department of Financial Services – Purchasing Division
- Bid Award – Bid #22-1201 Garrett County Detention Center Padded Cell Conversion Project was awarded to Cornerstone Detention Products in the amount of $34,000. Note this project is part of a state requirement.
- Contract Award – Request for Proposals – Design/Build Fiber Route Oakland – Table Rock Area RFP #22-0927 / EDA Project No. 01-79-15059 was awarded to Pillar Innovations in the amount of $792,110. Note costs are covered by a grant and we may be able to use some of the remaining funds on other aspects of the project.
- Kathy Shaffer donated a piece of property along N 4th Street to the County; presented to Sheriff Bryson Meyers. A memorial for slain Garrett County Deputy David Livengood and his K9 Sarge is maintained on the site.
Commissioner Edwards also noted that, as part of a state process, some county property owners have received new assessments on their property. NOTE: one-third of the county-wide property owners are reassessed annually (on a rotation).
The Commissioners are aware that assessments have gone up an average of 21% across Maryland. Assessments in Garrett County have certainly increased -- at the highest rate in the state -- at a rate of about 50% when combining residential and commercial properties.
The county portion of this property assessment process is called the Constant Yield and will be part of the county budget process this spring. Meanwhile, the Commissioners are looking at ways to mitigate the impact of the higher assessments.
There is a process to challenge a property assessment: You can pursue this by contacting Phil Smith, Supervisor of Assessments at 317 East Alder St. Rm 106. PO. Box 388, Oakland, Maryland 21550 and at (301) 334-1950.
Also, the state has a Homestead Tax Credit
available to help homeowners with large assessment increases to their primary residence.
A link to the recorded meeting broadcast can be found at: http://bit.ly/3RhY7hp
Public issues or concerns that are to be presented to the Board of Garrett County Commissioners during any Public Meeting should be scheduled with Carol A. Riley-Alexander, Executive Assistant to the Board of County Commissioners/County Administrator, by 11:00 p.m. on Monday one week prior to the Public Meeting Day.
The Board of Garrett County Commissioners next scheduled Public Meeting will be Monday, February 6, 2023, at the Garrett County Courthouse beginning at 4:00 p.m.