- Minimize travel when possible
- Stay indoors during the worst part of the extreme cold
- Keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle
- Check tire pressure, antifreeze levels, heater/defroster, etc.
- Learn how to shut off water valves for potential pipe bursts
- Check on the elderly
- Bring pets inside
How Should I Dress?
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lighweight, warm clothing
- Wear a hat, becasue 40% of body heat can be lost through your head
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold
- Mitten, snug at the wrist, are better than gloves
- Try to stay dry and out of the wind
Cold Weather Safety Tips from the National Weather Service Pittsburgh, PA
More safety tips at: http://www.ready.go.gov/winter-weather