Skip to Content
Garrett County, Maryland Seal
Garrett County Government
301.334.8970 |

Public Information Frequently Asked Questions

All county government offices and services are now operating on a regular schedule.
Q:  I am still without power.  Are shelters still available?
A:  The County is no longer offering shelters at this time.  People without power are encouraged to visit or call Community Action 301-334-9431. 
Q:  I am still without power and am in need of water.  Where can I go?
A:  Water is available at this time through Community Action at the 360 West Liberty Street facility in Oakland.  For further information contact (301) 334-9431.
Q:  What can I do with storm debris?  Will the landfill accept it?
A: Effective immediately residents may take storm related woody debris resulting from Hurricane Sandy to the following locations for disposal free of charge:
Garrett County Landfill
3118 Oakland Sang Run Road; Oakland
Monday to Saturday:  8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Closed on Sundays
Phone: 301-387-0322
Old Oakland County Roads Garage
North Oakland Garrett Highway- Across from the Brodak Plaza; Oakland
Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Saturdays and Sundays
Grantsville Roads Garage
13266 National Pike: Grantsville
Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Saturdays and Sundays
Q:  What can I do with storm related woody debris?  May I burn it?
A:  To report burning of brush that is associated with the recent storm damage, please call the Garrett County Non-Emergency number in the 9-1-1 Communications Center at 301-334-1929.  The normal permitting procedure for open burning through the Garrett County Health Department is temporarily suspended until November 17, 2012.  Brush may be burned any time of the day provided there is snow on the ground, otherwise burning should occur between 4 p.m. and midnight.  All fires must be kept 200 feet from neighboring habitable dwellings and gathering places. 

Q:  Is it safe to eat food that hasn’t been refrigerated for multiple days due to the storm? 
A:  Food Safety Tips:
  • Discard all perishable foods that have been without refrigeration and have remained at a temperature of 40° Fahrenheit and above for two hours or more
  • Do not eat canned foods if the can has been damaged
  • Keep foods that have been stored in an unopened, well functioning freezer based on the following criteria:
    • A half-full, unopened freezer will keep foods safely for up to 24 hours;
    • A fully stocked, unopened freezer can keep foods safely for 48 hours;
    • Refreeze foods only if the items still contain ice crystals and feel cold and hard to the touch
  • Do not taste foods to see if they are spoiled --- If in doubt throw it out.
  • For more information, visit or
Q:  Will my insurance cover storm-related damages?
A:  Contact your own homeowner insurance company or check out the Maryland Insurance Administration at for answers to your storm-related insurance questions.
CONTACT the Maryland Insurance Administration at 410-468-2000 or 1-800-492-6116
Q:  I have contacted my insurance company.  Do I need to contact the County to report property damage related to the storm as well?
A:  If your property has sustained damage or loss, please remember it is your responsibility to contact your home owners insurance to file a claim.  The County encourages residents and businesses to report damages by using t storm damage reporting form found at: or call 301-334-7470.
By reporting your damages, please be aware that the County is not responsible for repairing or mitigating damages. The purpose of this reporting system is to enable the County to collect data in order to possibly become eligible for state and federal disaster assistance.  The County will only be eligible if the disaster declaration threshold is met.
For a list of consumer resources and information on flood insurance, please visit the Maryland Insurance Administration at:
For more information on disaster survivor assistance, please visit FEMA at: