By Garrett County Joint Information Center Team
As vaccination appointments are opened up on the Health Department’s website for those who are at least 75 years old, testing to detect the COVID-19 illness in county residents continues. The current testing numbers for the county are trending downward, although they currently remain higher than those of the state. The county’s vaccination rate stands at 6.9% of residents having received their first dose, compared to the state rate of 3.8%.
Additional statistics for Garrett County today include:
· A 7-day case rate of 44.3 per 100,000 Garrett County residents, just above Maryland’s case rate of 41.3
· A 7-day positivity rate of 14.5%, compared to Maryland’s rate of 7.8%
· A total of 1,737 COVID-19 cases
· A total of 56 deaths due to COVID-19 or its complications
The Health Department will continue to update their website with qualification requirements and instructions on how to schedule a vaccination appointment as they move through the priority groups. There currently is no set timeline for the next groups to be vaccinated because of the uncertainty of the arrival of additional vaccine.
For the most up-to-date information about vaccine distribution and testing in Garrett County, watch for announcements from the Health Department on media outlets, the Health Department’s Facebook page and website (garretthealth.org).
Additional COVID-19 resources:
· If you have COVID-19 like symptoms, schedule a testing appointment at the Health Department by calling 301-334-7697.
· Free COVID-19 testing is available (with or without symptoms) on Tuesdays (9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) and Thursdays (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), at the MEDCO Building in the McHenry Business Park. Pre-registration is recommended. Visit garretthealth.org for more information.
· For all other COVID-19 related questions, or to report a COVID-19 compliance issue, call the local COVID-19 Hotline number at 301-334-7698.