Skip to Content

Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions

When are tax bills issued?

Regular, annual tax bills are issued on July 1st of each fiscal year.  The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.  In some cases, if there are any account changes or deed transfers from mid-June through the end of June, these bills will be issued September 1st on a supplimental role.

How do I read this bill?  Where does it say what I need to pay?

If paying annually, please pay the coupon on the left side of the bill by the month you are remitting. If paying semiannual, please be sure to use the appropriate coupon #1  for the first payment and #2 coupon for the second payment.

When are my taxes due?

Annual payments -  Base tax (no interest) due by 9/30.  Interest begins 10/1 at 1% per month.

Semiannual – 1st payment due by 9/30.  2nd payment due by 12/31 to avoid any interest.  If the 1st semi-annual payment is not received by 9/30, the semi-annual option is no longer available. 

Why is there a sewer charge on my tax bill this year?

Please call the Public Utilities Office at 301-334-6983

Who can I contact about my assessment?

If you have questions about your assessment, contact the Assessment Office at 301.334.1950.

My taxes are escrowed; did my mortgage company get a copy of my bill?

Your mortgage company will not receive a paper copy of your bill from us; however, many companies have access to that information through a website.  They may also contact our office for payment amounts.  If you are unsure or have questions on how your company handles this, contact your lender to confirm their process.  This office does not track your lender.

I have more than one tax bill to pay, can I send one check?

Yes, you can combine your bills and pay with one check.  Be sure to include the coupons for all of the properties when mailing payment to be sure that your payment is applied correctly.
How do I apply for the Homestead credit?
For information and eligibility requirements on the Homestead credit and instructions on applying, visit If you have any further questions, contact the Assessment Office at 301.334.1950.

How do I apply for the Home Owner’s tax credit?

This is based on your income; please contact the Assessment Office at 301-334-1950 for an application or for more information.

Why did my taxes go up when my assessment has gone down?

If your taxes went up but your assessment has gone down, please contact the Assessment Office at 301-334-1950.